Monday 6 April 2020

Bookish Musings: Bells and Chimes

I've read about it. In lots of places. I've seen it being used as a descriptive in lots of novels. But. I have never actually heard laughter that sounds like bells. Or wind chimes. Or tinkling.

I've heard loud laughter; cackling laughter; boisterous laughter; sniggering laughter; wheezing laughter; snorting laughter.

I've seen people laughing so much they choke on their food; laughing so much they're unable to breathe; laughing so much tears roll down their face; laughing so much they drop onto the floor; laughing so much they look almost maniacal.

I've felt the kind of laughter that is bursting to come out; the kind of laughter that is merely an exhale; the kind of laughter that is so unexpectedly loud, I need to chide myself; the kind of laughter that makes my face feel warm and buzzing.

And all those kinds of laughter are so beautiful. Because laughter is a ray of sunshine made audible. And I don't feel any poorer for not being able to hear laughter like chimes. Because I've heard real, solid, imperfect, hilarious laughter. And that to me is akin to liquid gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment